In addition to standard modules and programme sites, Moodle can support Crosslisting courses and Learning Spaces.
You can request a Crosslist or Learning Space with this Unidesk form.
These courses are provided to avoid duplication of resources and effort where several modules or programmes have much in common and could be more effectively managed as a single entity in an ‘umbrella’ course.
- Request a Crosslist course if you wish to stop using the ‘child’ modules and handle everything in the Crosslist. Students will no longer see the child courses.
- Request a Learning Space if you wish the ‘child’ courses to remain accessible to the students. Materials or activities common to all students can be deployed on the Learning Space and materials which differ between the modules can be deployed on the ‘child’ courses.
Further details on how Crosslists and Learning Spaces operate within Moodle are provided below.
These are used to join or crosslist module occurrences together in a shared ‘parent’ course which is coded as XL00... Enrolments for the parent course are taken from the ‘child’ module occurrences, which are then hidden from staff and students so that only the parent course is visible.
Crosslists can be from different module codes or multiple occurrences of the same module. The XL code will include the trimester of the child modules (eg. XL000981_2017-8_TR2_001) or will default to ALL if the modules are from across trimesters. This coding affects how the XL course responds to the course filters which are used to show modules from specific trimesters/sessions.
When making your request for a Crosslist, the following information is needed:
- Full Module Titles for each module to be included in the umbrella course (Module Code, Year, Trimester, Occurrence)
- The Title of the Crosslist will be based on the modules being included in it. If you wish a specific title, please note this on the request form.
The new parent course will be empty and if there is any content in a child module then this needs to be imported, and your Learning Technology Advisor can help with that.
Leganto reading lists will also be empty, and so your subject librarian must tie the child module reading lists to the new parent module list via the library management system. Please contact them to do that for you.
Crosslists have to be requested each academic session. Programme sites can be similarly crosslisted to a parent course but they do not have any trimester/session associated with them.
These courses can be used for a variety of academic purposes and are coded LS00. Students are enrolled by either selecting them individually, or in bulk from existing Moodle module occurrences/programme codes. The Learning Space coding does not include the trimester/session and so the course filters need to be set to ‘Other’ in order to appear in the Moodle dashboard.
Before requesting a Learning Space please consider the following.
- Bulk enrolling students from a module code does not affect that module’s enrolments. Therefore don’t use a learning space as a proxy for a module as this will mean the students are enrolled on an empty module. Crosslisting modules ensures that students are not confused by empty modules. The same applies to programme sites.
- If the course is to be accessed by a wide range of students that cannot easily be enrolled in bulk from course codes then consider requesting a course on Moodle Community as this permits student self-enrolment.
If in doubt then contact your Learning Technology Advisor for advice.