Webex provides a real-time, collaborative web environment for meetings and learning & teaching events. Webex is available for all staff and is accessed from the link below using standard University IDs and passwords.
Please follow the steps in this accessing Webex for the first time guide to verify your email address.
Webex has two session types,
- Webex Meeting which is the standard Webex where you can communicate using audio, video and text chat, share the content of your screen, and run polls.
- Webex Training which has additional features to allow you to gauge attendee feedback using emoticons and attention indicators, to track questions using the threaded Q&A, and to assign attendees to breakout rooms.
The plugin allows anyone with a Teacher role in a Moodle course to host Webex Meeting and Training sessions within a Moodle course so that the session link is conveniently available to enrolled students. The plugin also allows access to session recordings, and an attendance register is automatically generated for the session host.
You can then schedule all sessions from this link, and so the plugin only needs to be added once.
Webex can be integrated with your Outlook calendar by installing the Meetings app from the downloads page. The app runs on your desktop and is also an easy eay to schedule and host meetings. From the Preferences menu choose which Office applications are to integrate the app, and ensure that the site URL is edinburghnapier.webex.com.
Check your computer
If you have never joined a Webex session from your computer then you can perform this quick check.
- Click on the link: https://www.webex.com/test-meeting.html
- Enter your Name and Email Address, then click the Join. Your test meeting will load.
- This is followed by a dialog box stating ‘The host has not yet joined the meeting’. Click OK to close the dialog box.
At this point, you have joined successfully and the Webex client is installed. If you have a webcam installed then it may activate automatically in the Webex test room. You can check that your headset is working with Webex using this guide for checking your computer audio.
Access from mobile devices and telephones
The Webex app for iOS and Android devices allows participation in Meeting or Training sessions. When joining a session from the browser the the device will prompt to open Webex in the app, and which will then prompt to use the device’s microphone and camera.
Webex provides support call-in toll numbers for a range of countries which allows attendees to join a meeting from telephone (audio only). The call-in numbers are displayed in the session invitation email or Moodle link. Each Webex session has a unique session number which is entered after dialling the call-in number.
Visit the Webex FAQs in askNapier for further information.