Webex provides a real-time, collaborative web environment for meetings and learning & teaching events. Webex is available for all staff and is accessed from the link below using standard University IDs and passwords. Please follow the steps in this accessing Webex for the first time guide to verify your email address.
The Moodle plugin allows staff to host Webex sessions within a Moodle course so that the session link is conveniently available to enrolled students. The plugin also allows access to recordings, and an attendance register is automatically generated for the session Host.
Webex has two event types which are similar but also have distinct features;
- Training Center which contains feedback tools and breakout rooms.
- Meeting Center which is the standard Webex.
All University computers are ‘Webex ready’ so you can schedule and host meetings from your office, and also from any internet enabled computer or mobile device (via the app).
The main WebEx features and tools include:
- File, application, and desktop sharing: Easily collaborate on any project while sharing audio and video.
- High-definition video: View the exceptionally crisp and clear video of the active speaker.
- Real-time video: See multiple, webcam video feeds in your personal meeting room.
- Integrated voice conferencing: Provide a call-in phone number, VoIP calling.
- Network-based recording: Record meetings, including session content and audio.
- Mobile meetings: Attend meetings on Android, and iOS devices.
- Cross-platform support: Works with Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris, and UNIX.
Check your computer
If you have never joined a Webex meeting from your computer then you can perform the quick check the below.
- Click on the link: https://www.webex.com/test-meeting.html
- Enter your Name and Email Address, then click the Join. Your test meeting will load.
- This is followed by a dialog box stating ‘The host has not yet joined the meeting’. Click OK to close the dialog box.
At this point, you have joined successfully and the Webex client is installed. If you have a webcam installed then it may activate automatically in the Webex test room. You can check that your headset is working with Webex using this guide for checking your computer audio.
Visit the WebEx FAQs in askNapier for further information