Moodle will be upgraded during the Easter break 2021 and will be unavailable for a short period (tbc). This upgrade ensures Moodle continues to receive important security updates, and will combine feature improvements from versions 3.6 3.7 3.8 and 3.9. We aim to upgrade the Moodle Community and Staff Training servers before the main upgrade, and the Learning Technology Support team will be happy to import any modules for advanced viewing.
The most noticeable changes from the upgrade include,
- Building courses: Turn editing on is a bright new button, the Activity chooser can star and view recommended activities and resources, and H5P interactive content is now fully integrated.
- Navigation: Recently accessed items block may be added to the Dashboard, either positioned in the centre or to one side. Navigation in the Book has been made clearer, and quickly move to the top of the screen to reduce scrolling.
- Messaging: New messaging interface with greater control over who can message you, along with the ability to star messages and engage in group messaging. Other enhancements include a link to a full page, two column view and the ability to mute conversations.
- Resources: Print books or chapters in books with a more attractive output, Teachers can view hidden chapters in a book with the editing turned off.
- Assignments: Record audio feedback (3 minutes) when grading, and rotate submitted PDFs for easier viewing.
- Forums: the ability to star and sort discussions, to reply inline, to reply privately, add emojis, grade forums, export discussions, and manually lock threads.
- Quizzes: Clear my choice allows students to remove their choice in an MCQ, the drag and drop markers question type is easier to edit, and the question bank has a new editor.
- User experience: A session timeout alert helps ensure work is not lost due to inactive Moodle sessions. Hide yourself in the online users block without being seen by clicking the ‘eye’ against your name.
For any enquiries regarding the upgrade please contact Stephen Bruce, Learning Technology Support Manager.