The Edinburgh Festival
Everything you should know about The Edinburgh Festival
The Edinburgh Festival is one of the most famous and internationally loved festivals in the world. It boasts multiple festivals within the festival, as well as art shows and street performances around every corner.
Here’s a list of the main festivals:
- Edinburgh International Science Festival – TBC 2024
- Edinburgh Jazz & Blues Festival – 14 – 23 July 2023
- Edinburgh Art Festival – 11 – 28 August 2023
- Edinburgh International Festival – 4 – 27 August 2023
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe (Comedy festival) – 4 – 28 August 2023
- Edinburgh International Book Festival – 12 – 28 August 2023
- Edinburgh International Film Festival – 18 – 23 August 2023
- The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo will return from 4 – 26 August 2023
There is something for everyone no matter your interest. Us Librarians of course get very excited by the Book festival and a chance to hear our favourite authors read from their work is a rare privilege. All the big names appear in our tiny city and the excitement and energy on the streets is invigorating.
Incredibly The first ‘International Festival of Music and Drama’ took place between 22 August and 11 September 1947 (Wikipedia). The ethos behind the creation of the festival was “provide a platform for the flowering of the human spirit” (Source) after the horrors of the Second World War.
Beginning with the high arts of Ballet, Opera, Classical music and the Visual Arts. It has grown to encompass so much more. The Edinburgh Fringe is a place to hear some of the greatest up-and-coming comedians, as well as standard favourites from around the Globe. The Jazz and Blues festival boasts some of the best musicians in the world. Not to mention the street performances that are free for everyone. Although you will need plenty of time to get between shows as it’s hard to resist stopping constantly to see them all.
Library Resources for Edinburgh Napier members
Whether it’s Jazz musicians or film criticism you are interested in, check out librarysearch.napier.ac.uk for all our resources
Read more about different festivals here on our blog. Check out: The Cherry Festival
By Juliet Kinsey