Libraries Week is an annual celebration held to promote the best that libraries have to offer. This year, Libraries Week becomes Green Libraries Week!
From the 2nd to the 8th of October, libraries across the UK will celebrate the work they do related to climate change and sustainability.
Find out what’s happening in libraries throughout the UK during Green Libraries Week 2023 by following @librariesweek
Libraries Week 2023 Resources
You can search for library resources on all sustainability and climate change topics using LibrarySearch
If you find a book is at another campus library, you can always request it through our Click and Collect service.
Lions Gate Garden
Adjacent to the Library at Merchiston campus is the Lion’s Gate Garden. You can see the garden from the relaxation area in the Library.
The Lion’s Gate Garden is an interdisciplinary, permaculture learning and demonstration site. Functioning as a garden, outdoor sustainability laboratory, allotment, venue, performance, re-wilding, and relaxation space. Furthermore, It is designed to protect and enhance the biodiversity of Edinburgh Napier University campuses as per the University’s Environmental Sustainability Strategy
Find out more about the Lion’s Gate and the other green initiatives across the other campuses including the orchard at Craiglockhart and how you can become involved on the Lion’s Gate Blog.
The Lions’ Gate Garden is a permaculture habitat adjacent to the library at Merchiston campus. The gardens, allotment, pond, and outdoor laboratory provide a space to relax and unwind.
Three years ago, Research Fellow and Interaction Design Lecturer Callum Egan sparked the idea of using digital technology and environmentalism to create “techno gardens to make real spaces for people”.
The digital interactions aim to inspire people on educating and taking action for climate change and ecosystems.
Some of these interactions include:
Building food forests
Wifi and sensor icons
The pandemic has even taught us all to be more resourceful and individuals have shown a growing hobby for urban gardening! As the seasons change at Lions’ Gate, we can be more ‘fruitful’ by generating natural resources, from strawberries to Christmas trees. This creates social spaces and could even make homemade jams and chutneys!
How can universities become a spur for sustainable development in the next generation? One way would be by engaging more with their local communities.
Here at Edinburgh Napier, we encourage you to become involved in groups, societies or activities that help make campuses greener places for working and studying.
We are even committed to minimising our carbon footprint beyond the campuses. 80% of our waste is recycled, while the remaining 20% is used for fuel production. Further information can be found in the links below:
Onedrive is free cloud storage. It is a great way of storing and saving large files and documents online, accessing on other devices and sharing with others. You no longer need a ring binder folder full of paper!