In the 4th year of our BSc Physical Activity & Health, our students are given the opportunity to apply the knowledge they have acquired in their previous years – including the Gym Instructor, Personal Trainer and health coaching training – in a relevant workplace; for example, gyms, exercise referral schemes, or NHS supporting roles.
This placement lasts for one semester and is supported not only as part of their BSc programme, but by all of our employer partners that we link with through CIMSPA, our Chartered Institute.
We’re therefore keen to discuss how final year students studying for a BSc in Physical Activity & Health could contribute to supporting your organisation this autumn.
The Student Experience
Our current expectation is that placements will be virtual, with agreement for onsite activity being discussed as the placements approach, depending on Government guidance and organisation policy.
- Up to 80 hours of activity in the period from September to November 2021
- A placement supervisor within the organisation to act as their point of contact
- Regular weekly progress meetings as a minimum
- A clearly defined remit or project brief for their role
- Support to review their personal development during the placement.
Placement providers gain:
- Access to a diverse, energetic, creative, ambitious and talented labour market
- Engagement in the local community
- Alignment of talent to meet their future organisational needs
- Contribution to secure and sustained employment, and staff development.
On placement, students will see the hypothetical and real case studies they have studied throughout their programme come to life. They may work with GP referrals of real people and, through their reflective client reports, will gain experiential learning related to exercise behaviour, testing and prescription. Many case studies will have a clinical basis, and students can apply their knowledge of how complications such as obesity, depression, heart disease or cancer may affect their clients and how to best support them.
It’s a win-win situation!
To enquire about hosting a placement student this autumn, please speak to Kimberley Ritchie.
Direct Dial: 0131 455 2458