Our post today is written by Logan Campbell, reflecting on his experience studying in Australia. The video shown here was made for a documentary class and explores the first few days abroad – as you can see from the images below, Logan quickly made friends and threw himself into enjoying his time away.

Studying abroad has been, without a doubt, the most exhilarating experience of my life! My semester at Murdoch University in Perth, Australia, was a whirlwind adventure that led me to experience the whole weather spectrum spanning from February to June. I was welcomed by a scorching 45°C heat and left amid thunderstorms with temperatures dropping to the 10°Cs. This journey pushed me out of my comfort zone and led me to incredible experiences I never imagined. From snorkelling with whale sharks and giant turtles in the Indian Ocean to chasing kangaroos across a rural Australian farm, not to mention meeting Eric the pig! The friendships I forged during this time are now my second family and the connections I made will impact and undoubtedly benefit me now and in the future.

When I first saw Murdoch University on the list of exchange destinations, I hesitated. The thought of flying solo and leaving behind my friends and family was daunting, especially since I had never ventured outside Europe before. But I’m incredibly grateful I took the leap as if I had to do it all again, I would dive in headfirst without a second thought. This journey ignited a passion for travel, and now I have plans to explore Europe and North America after graduation next year. Studying abroad also opened my eyes to global career opportunities in my field, helping me envision and plan a future that extends far beyond the confines of university life.

To summarise, do it. Just, do it!

Thanks to Logan Campbell (BSc Digital Media and Interaction Design Global) for writing this piece and letting us share his media.  If you are a current student and fancy an adventure like this – have a chat with your programme leader.