As you are approaching the results for your degree at Edinburgh Napier, there is something you should do before you move here and freak out about the cost of living: being a student in Edinburgh is fantamagic.
In fact, your student status will allow you to get many discounts in several stores around the city. I know it sounds crazy (especially if from where you come from you’re lucky to get a special price just for your transportation), but here’s a list of services that are likely to give you from 5% to 10% discount when you use them:
- Clothing shop (yes, you heard well): many clothing shops (especially around Princes Street) will give you nice discounts when you show your student card. New Look, Topshop, River Island and so on…..yeah, it’s great!
- Shoe shops: again, many of them give you student discounts.
- Attractions: like Edinburgh Dungeon, Mary King’s Close, and so on..always worth asking for it!
- Transportation: Lothian Buses offer a special price to students who decide to buy monthly bus cards (and the saving is very good if you use buses more than 5 times – one way- per week)
- ALWAYS ask for a student discount if you’re not sure the store offers it. What do you have to lose?
On the other hand, something to be aware of is when stores ask you if you want to get a store card e.g. Dorothy Perkins’ card, River Island card….these cards usually have really high interest rate, and I recently had a bad experience with Dorothy Perkins. When I signed up for it was told it cost me nothing, that’s it totally free. And guess what? Now I just have found out I have to pay a monthly fee to have it. Useless to say, I’m going to cancel the contract VERY SOON! So always beware of these kind of offers 🙂
Also, unfortunately you won’t be able to use your student card for grocery or printing shops..however, food is generally affordable (e.g. Tesco & Asda), so don’t worry too much about it.