Dr Zhilun Lu is a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in the School of Engineering and the Built Environment at Edinburgh Napier University. He obtained his PhD from the University of Sheffield with the High-Quality PhD Thesis Prize. Then he worked as a Henry Royce Institute Research Associate at the University of Sheffield and a Research Scientist in the Department of Methods for Characterization of Transport Phenomena in Energy Materials at Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin.
Invent innovative functional and energy materials with expertise in structural analysis, synthesis, and characterization of material properties, as well as coordinating development. Cover a wide range of functional materials (dielectrics for energy storage capacitors, thermoelectrics, ferroelectrics, high entropy ceramics, high permittivity oxides, microwaves and geometrically frustrated magnets) and aim to investigate their structure-composition-property relations using the Impedance Spectroscopy for the analysis of ‘electrical microstructure’, Synchrotron X-Ray Diffraction Rietveld Refinement, Transmission Electron Microscope and Neutron Scattering for ‘microstructure’.
- Royal Society Research Grant Project: Sintering improvement and electrical property tuning of lead-free AgNbO3-based ceramics for energy storage applications
- Royal Society of Chemistry Research Grant Project: La doping mechanisms in BiFeO3-SrTiO3 for high energy density capacitors
- PhD projects:
- Development of Lead-free Ceramics for Dielectric Energy Storage Capacitors
- Renewable and Flexible Dielectric Materials for Sustainable Electronics
- Developing Multifunctional Composite Materials for Sustainable Energy
59 Journal Papers: Q1 (JCR) – 50, total Impact factor (JCR) – 400+
Google Scholar: 1400+, h-index 21, i10-index 31
Highly cited article by Web of Science (2021)
Energy and Environmental Science HOT Article (2020)
Journal of the American Ceramic Society Top Downloaded Paper (2018-2019)
Journal of the American Ceramic Society February’s Issue Featured Article (2016)
- G. Wang, Z. Lu, Y. Li, L. Li, H. Ji, A. Feteira, D. Zhou, D. Wang, S. Zhang and I. M Reaney, Electroceramics for high-energy density capacitors: current status and future perspectives. Chemical Reviews, 121, 6124 (2021). (Impact Factor: 60.622)
- Z. Lu, G. Wang, L. Li, Y. Huang, A. Feteira, W. Bao, A. K. Kleppe, F. Xu, D. Wang and I. M. Reaney, In situ poling X-ray diffraction studies of lead-free BiFeO3-SrTiO3 ceramics. Materials Today Physics, 19, 100426 (2021). (Impact Factor: 9.298)
- Z. Lu, W. Bao, G. Wang, S. Sun, L. Li, J. Li, H. Yang, H. Ji, A. Feteira, D. Li, F. Xu, A. K. Kleppe, D. Wang, S. Liu and Ian M. Reaney, Mechanism of enhanced energy storage density in AgNbO3-based lead-free antiferroelectrics. Nano Energy, 79, 105423 (2021). (Impact Factor: 17.881)
- Z. Lu, G. Wang, W. Bao, J. Li, L. Li, A. Mostaed, H. Yang, H. Ji, D. Li, A. Feteira, F. Xu, D. C. Sinclair, D. Wang, S. Liu and I. M. Reaney, Superior energy density through tailored dopant strategies in multilayer ceramic capacitors. Energy & Environmental Science, 8, 2923 (2020). (Impact Factor: 38.532)
- Z. Lu, H. Zhang, W. Lei, D. C. Sinclair and I. M. Reaney, High figure of merit thermoelectric La-doped A-site deficient SrTiO3 ceramics. Chemistry of Materials, 28, 925 (2016). (Impact Factor 2020: 9.811)
- Member of American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Member of Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Member of Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining (IOM3)
- Physical Review Letters
- Acta Materialia
- Chemistry of Materials
- Scripta Materialia
- Nature Scientific Reports
- Journal of Alloys and Compounds
- Journal of Electronic Materials
- Materials & Design
- Frontiers in Materials
- July, 2023
Organising Committee Member and Keynote Speaker – World Congress of Smart Materials 2023, Barcelona, Spain.
- November, 2022
Organising Committee Member and Keynote Speaker – 7th European Congress on Advanced Nanotechnology and Nanomaterials, Rome, Italy.
- September, 2022
Keynote Speaker – 2nd International Symposium on Characterization, online.
- September, 2022
Keynote Speaker – 4th International Webinar on Advanced Materials and Material Science, online.
- September, 2022
Keynote Speaker – Materials Info 2022, online.
- August, 2022
Keynote Speaker – Global Summit on Nanotechnology & Materials Science, Nice, France.
- November, 2021
Keynote Speaker – 2nd Global Webinar on Materials Science and Engineering, online.
- June, 2021
Keynote Speaker – 1st International Conference on Advances in Material Science and Environmental Engineering (ICAMSEE), online.
- May, 2021
Invited Speaker – 2021 IEEE International Symposium on Applications of Ferroelectrics, online.
- December, 2019
- Keynote Speaker and co-chair of one program session – The 3rd International Conference on Advanced Materials & Process Engineering, Karachi, Pakistan.