One course, many paths – it all adds up with Accounting

There seems to be a misconception about accounting courses, or accounting related occupations; where many have this idea that there is only one specific predictable career path.

Reality couldn’t be further from the truth…

Here are two stories of Edinburgh Napier University graduates to show that an accountancy degree is just the beginning of a road with endless possibilities.

Katy Sutherland ACCA, graduated from Napier University in 2014 with an Accounting First Class (Hons) degree.  At University, she received both the Elizabeth Howie Memorial Prize as well as the Prize winner of the John MacAndrew Memorial Quaich. Now a fully qualified Chartered Accountant, Katy works for Innovate UK, The United Kingdom’s innovation agency, which funds and supports organisations to make new products and services.

“From my first conversation with Edinburgh Napier before I applied, it was obvious that the lecturers put the students first. I had already done my AAT and on speaking to Napier I was told I could join directly into second year, which no other University suggested.

During my course I was always advised on what options would give me the best track for professional exemptions after graduation. My supervisor’s support during my dissertation is also something I’ll always be thankful for.

Now, I’ve just qualified as a chartered accountant and started my dream job. It feels like I’m on cloud nine. Edinburgh Napier made it all possible: you’re an individual to them as a student, not just a number. They definitely cared and were always supportive throughout my studies.”

A more recent Accounting graduate, Meg McGinlay, has followed a different path since she graduated in  2020. While at University, as an optional module, she entered an Entrepreneurship Exchange Challenge, where she stayed one week in Gießen, Germany.  That experience allowed her to discover her passion and she secured a job working in Germany.

“Edinburgh Napier always highlighted support for students. My programme really sparked my interest in entrepreneurship and business. In my final year, the careers services were great in supporting me with applications and the creation of a CV. This support and enthusiasm allowed me to believe I could apply my knowledge to something I loved.

“Now I work in Germany, as a Project Manager for a start-up, running events worldwide including the #EUvsVirus Challenge last year.

“I am so happy Edinburgh Napier supported me in pushing my boundaries and following my passion.”