Dr Faye Skelton

My PhD was on the development of face recognition in 4-11 year old children, and I studied at Lancaster University (where I did my undergraduate as well). After that I moved to the University of Central Lancashire in Preston where I started to teach applied cognitive (forensic) psychology at undergraduate and MSc level. I was also Programme Lead for the BSc (Hons) Psychology and Criminology for some of that time.

Currently I’m Lecturer in Cognitive Psychology and Programme Leader of the MSc Applied Criminology and Forensic Psychology. I’m module leader of Brain and Cognition (level 9), Practical Forensic Psychology (level 11) and Evidence and Investigation (level 11). I have four PhD students, two here at Edinburgh Napier (one Director of Studies) and two at the University of Central Lancashire.

I teach on Introduction to Psychology (level 7), Cognitive Psychology 1 (level 8), Brain and Cognition (level 9), Practical Forensic Psychology (level 11), and Evidence and Investigation (level 11). I also supervise honours projects and MSc dissertations.

My research interests focus on the psychology of evidence, and miscarriages of justice. I’m interested in police facial composites, eyewitness identification, false confessions, and I regularly engage with the public for example through the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and science festivals across the UK. I’m currently leading a British Academy/Leverhulme funded project on experiences of miscarriages of justice, working with Dr Mandy Winterton and the Miscarriages of Justice Organisation (MOJO).

Skelton, F. C., Frowd, C. D., Hancock, P. J. B., Jones, H. S., Jones, B. C., Fodarella, C., …Logan, K. (in press). Constructing identifiable composite faces: The importance of cognitive alignment of interview and construction procedure. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied

Brown, C., Portch, E., Skelton, F. C., Fodarella, C., Kuivaniemi-Smith, H., Herold, K., …Frowd, C. D. (2019). The impact of external facial features on the construction of facial composites. Ergonomics, 575-592

Marsh, J. E., Patel, K., Labonté, K., Battersby, K. L., Frowd, C. D., Ball, L. J., …Vachon, F. (2017). Chatting in the face of the eyewitness: the impact of extraneous cell-phone conversation on memory for a perpetrator. Canadian Journal of Experimental Psychology, 183-190

Skelton, F. C., Frowd, C. D., & Speers, K. E. (2015). The benefit of context for facial composite construction. Journal of Forensic Practice, 281-290

Frowd, C. D., Jones, S., Fodarella, C., Skelton, F. C., Fields, S., Williams, A., …Hancock, P. J. (2014). Configural and featural information in facial-composite images. Science & Justice, 215-227