The Department of Learning and Teaching Enhancement (DLTE) enhances and supports the development of learning and teaching practices across Edinburgh Napier with the intention of enhancing the student learning experience. We do this by working with individual colleagues in Schools and Professional Services as well as Programme Teams to identify effective learning and teaching practices and to bring colleagues together to share their knowledge, experience and learning. The department provides developmental opportunities for colleagues via our PgCert Teaching and Supporting Learning, our ENssentials CPD programme as well as professional recognition of practice via ENroute, our Fellowship scheme.
As part of the University’s Learning & Teaching strategy, we are committed to providing the most appropriate support and professional development for all of our colleagues. We are currently in the process of developing specific and bespoke provision for Autumn 2022 to help and support postgraduates who teach. For the development and delivery of this provision, we are looking to recruit current postgraduate research students with teaching experience at Edinburgh Napier. Those recruited will work in partnership with each other and with members of DLTE.
We are a diverse team with expertise in teaching, scholarship, quality assurance, and enhancement and pedagogic research. We work in the University in collaboration with academic colleagues, programme teams, students and professional services.
The successful candidates will work up to 6 hours per week until the end of September 2022 (*with longer working weeks expected in early July and late September), working with colleagues across DLTE as we develop provision that will support postgraduates who teach. This time is flexible with the hours and days worked negotiated and agreed based upon your study and other commitments to ensure progress in your studies is not comprised by this work.
The role will be mainly desk-based in undertaking a needs analysis of data shared by colleagues to inform the design of this provision, as well as running focus groups for current postgraduate students who teach to further inform the content of the provision you will help design. We will expect you to draw on your own professional experience of being a postgraduate student who teaches at Edinburgh Napier with working knowledge of some of the rewards and challenges of the role. You will receive support from DLTE colleagues throughout and there is the possibility of making a claim for Fellowship of Advance HE (HEA) through our ENroute programme as a result of your work with us.
- Identifying learning and teaching needs and expectations of postgraduates who teach at Edinburgh Napier across diverse disciplines
- Evaluating the current teaching experience of postgraduates who teach.
- Designing and developing resources for future postgraduates who teach
- Offering your postgraduate student perspective on Edinburgh Napier’s learning, teaching and assessment approaches.
About YouWe welcome applications from any postgraduate research student who is currently enrolled at Edinburgh Napier and who has a student teaching experience contract. Full training will be provided to all successful applicants, but we are looking for students who are: Essential Criteria:
- You must be a current postgraduate research student at Edinburgh Napier University, with experience teaching at university-level on a student experience contract.
- Be able to work remotely, flexibly, and with both autonomy and collaboratively as required.
- You must have demonstrable key skills in communication and organisation appropriate to the role of design and delivery for the benefit of postgraduates who teach.
- You must have aptitude in online systems (such as Microsoft Teams or equivalent) and/or ability to develop this quickly.
- Experience of research and/or evaluation in academic or professional context
- Able to present material in online and face-to-face settings
- Associate Fellowship (AFHEA) of Advance HE (formerly HEA).
- Specific experience of teaching and/or supporting learning at Edinburgh Napier University.
- Interested in learning and teaching practices
- Keen to engage with a range of students from different contexts and disciplines
Benefits We Offer
- Salary: Commensurate with Student Experience Contract.
- Professional experience in academic development in supporting learning and teaching, which can contribute as evidence towards claims for Fellowship of Advance HE.
- Opportunity to collaborate with PGR teaching colleagues and academic colleagues in DLTE and Schools with the view to potential presentations/publications.
Application Deadline: 22nd June, 5pm
Interviews are likely to be held: Wednesday 29th from 12pm
If you would like to apply, please send a cover letter and CV explaining your suitability for the role to email@example.com.
Leave a Reply