The call for papers is open (see below)
WoodMusICK2019 is an interdisciplinary conference about wood’s role in music – today and in the past. It follows on from the COST Action of the same name.
We are very happy to announce the next WoodMusICK conference will take place on the 17th – 18th October 2019, hosted by the University of Edinburgh at St Cecilia’s Hall. This conference is in association with The Wood Technology Society of IOM3. The meeting covers a wide scope including:
- Conservation of historical wooden musical instruments;
- Wood and the making of new instruments;
- The role of wood of wood in performance and musical heritage.
- Wood and acoustics, from instruments to concert halls
We are keen to have participation from makers, musicians, conservators, wood scientists, musicologists, acousticians and even foresters. If you are interested in both wood and music, this is the conference for you!
The format for this meeting will be a mixture of sessions of 20 minutes’ presentations (plus 10 minutes for Q&A), Pecha Kucha-type sessions for short presentations (three minutes each), and idea-exchange sessions (posters).
Every contribution regardless of the length format shall be represented by a poster (a specific format will be provided by the organization committee – based on the “#betterposter” concept by Mike Morrison). These posters will serve as a visual abstract both to incite dialogue during the idea-exchange sessions, and to be shared digitally to reach a wider audience.
At the end of each day of the meeting, there will be an open panel session. This will be a space to facilitate dialogue and exchange of ideas with focus on interpersonal cross-discipline exchange rather than on one-sided transfer of information.
Instructions for abstract submission
- Abstracts should be prepared following the format and style as the provided template (Word).
- Language should be English and abstracts should be 1 or 2 pages in length
- Please submit the abstract as a PDF document (maximum size 10 Mb)
- Only electronic submissions will be accepted
- The abstracts should be sent by July 15th 2019 via the form below (email firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any problems)
- Confirmation of acceptance will be sent by the 15th August 2019
THE CONFERENCE IS POSTPONED. THE CALL FOR ABSTRACTS IS WITHDRAWN AT THIS TIME.