Dr Jennifer Murray

Jen-Murray-Blog-picJen now works in the School of Health and Social Care at Edinburgh Napier University.

I am a Chartered Member of the British Psychological Society, and a member of the Health and Forensic Divisions. I am an active researcher in the areas of forensic psychology and applied health research, with an overarching theme of decision science pulling these two areas together. I am passionate about developing useful, theoretically sound interventions and outputs from my research. I collaborate across multidisciplinary teams, also working closely with and involving patient groups, clinicians/practitioners and other relevant stakeholders to make my research as applicable to ‘real practice’ as possible.

In my forensic psychology work, my main research interests lie in clinician decision making in risk assessment (violence, suicide and policy). I am keen to explore feasibility in risk assessment practices and decision making processes and biases, and have published extensively in this latter area. I am trained in the HCR-20v3 (and the older version 2), the PRISM, and the SAPROF.

In my applied health research, I have worked in person-centred care, outcome measurement, and intervention development using novel techniques. The key focus is on developing clinically useful research which can be translated to or adopted into day to day practice.

If you would like to contact me about working together, speaking at an event, or about potential PhD supervision opportunities, please email me at J.Murray2@napier.ac.uk.

Latest work:

Curley, L.J., Murray, J., MacLean, R., & Laybourn, P. (2017). Are consistent juror decisions related to fast and frugal decision making? Investigating the relationship between juror consistency, decision speed and cue utilisation. Medicine, Science and the Law. 57(4) 211-219. Available here.

Murray, J., Nedel Duarte, L., Carruthers, L., Chouliara, Z., Thomson, M. E., & McClatchey, K. (2017). Keeping focus: Using eye-tracking to identify decisional style and risk cues used in suicide risk assessment. Paper presented at International Association of Forensic Mental Health Services Conference. Split, Croatia, June 13-15.

Curley, L., Murray, J. & MacLean, R. (2016). Heuristics: The good, the bad, and the biased. What value can bias have for decision makers? The Quarterly. 100, 41-44. Available here.

Dr Jennifer Murray and Dr Penny Haddrill (University of Strathclyde) represented SIPR’s Evidence and Investigation Network at an event hosted by SIPR, welcoming the Norwegian Police University College. The event was focused on developing and fostering collaborative partnerships in policing research across the groups.

Dr Jennifer Murray was an invited panelist at Barclay’s Diversity and Inclusion Panel Event. Barclays Bank, Glasgow, October 12th. Dr Murray and Lee Curley also presented “Decision making style – are we really rational? Exploring rationality and non-rationality in complex decision making and judgement processes”. At Barclays Bank in Glasgow on October 10th.

Victor Nyamse, a research student co-supervised by Dr Jennifer Murray, passed his viva at GCU on 12th October 2017. His thesis title was ‘The design of a computerized anatomy education tool’.