Vanissia Lingg

I graduated from Edinburgh Napier University with a 2:1 around a year ago, in July 2019 (two days after my birthday!).

I really enjoyed the Research Methods modules, and particularly the quantitative and stats class. I know this is an unpopular preference! I definitely enjoyed the Abnormal and Counselling psychology modules, which strengthened my motivation to pursue a career in Clinical Psychology.

After a little bit of hesitation and failed applications, I embarked on the next step of my journey and started professional training to become a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist. This is through a part-time postgraduate diploma. Within this course, I can apply psychological theories and models to real-life settings with a client caseload. I have also been a support worker for autistic teenagers in the Lothians, volunteered with the Samaritans, aided facilitation of a weekly art group within a ward at the Royal Edinburgh Hospital, and volunteered as an Assistant Psychologist to help veterans suffering from mental health issues.

I have now started a Master’s in Clinical and Health Psychology at Strathclyde University, while still seeing therapy clients every week. I am pretty busy, but I love what I do.

My plan is to apply for the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology. I also created a YouTube channel where I give career advice and guidance to psychology graduates! Here is the link, if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi3h18rw3uHvaouNb85iKQQ/