Dr Nina Fisher

I completed my BSc(Hons) here at Edinburgh Napier in 2014, I then did my PhD at the University of St Andrews before beginning a post-doctoral position at Edinburgh University in 2017.

My PhD examined the effect of musical training on emotional processing and cognitive abilities. My post-doc investigated turn-taking in music playing and in conversation.

I joined Edinburgh Napier in March 2020 and teach on various modules including Introduction to Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Social Psychology, and Introduction to Educational Psychology. I also act as Year 2 Lead.

I am a Music and Cognitive Psychologist interested in emotional processing during musical activity, as well as the similarities and differences between music and speech. I am also interested in how staff and students can use feedback effectively. If you are interested in knowing more about my research, please feel free to get in touch!

n.fisher@napier.ac.uk

Recent research:

Fisher, N. K., Hadley, L. V., Corps, R. E., & Pickering, M. J. (2021). The effects of dual-task interference in predicting turn-ends in speech and music. Brain Research, 147571. 10.1016/j.brainres.2021.147571

Hadley, L. V., Fisher, N. K., & Pickering, M. J. (2020). Listeners are better at predicting speakers similar to themselves. Acta psychologica208, 103094. 10.1016/j.actpsy.2020.103094