Alexandra Bannach-Brown

I graduated BSc(Hons) Psychology in 2014. The modules that inspired me the most were, Cognitive Neuroscience as well as Forensic Psychology. I was fascinated by how the brain works to influence our behaviour and what happens when something goes wrong in the brain. Throughout my degree, learning about Research Methods and statistics gave me a good understanding of how to collect data well and analyse it in order to test your hypotheses. This has been vital for me career! I benefited from being part of the Psychology Society; it gave me a chance to attend interesting seminars and events about topics that were not covered in our lectures.

After graduating from Edinburgh Napier University I really wanted to continue studying the brain, so I went on to do an MSc by Research in Integrative Neuroscience at the University of Edinburgh, followed by a PhD jointly at the University of Edinburgh and Aarhus University. I was investigating animal models of depression and antidepressants using systematic review and meta-analysis techniques. Throughout my PhD, I also worked as an assistant neuropsychologist in CAMHS NHS Lothian, both in West Lothian and at Sick Kids in Edinburgh.

I now work as a post-doc metaresearcher at the QUEST Center, Charité Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, where I assess and promote open science and research quality. My role also involves teaching students and staff about systematic review and meta-analysis methodology and providing methodological support for systematic review and meta-analysis projects.  I really enjoy using methodology, tools, and statistics to pool data and evidence to improve understanding of disease. My plan is to continue working in an academic setting, synthesizing evidence from different domains to improve our understanding of psychiatric disorders.