Updates from Lee: Is the jury still out?

Lee updates us on his recent presentations where he showcased his research on the decision-making strategies of jurors…

_____________________________________________________________________________________

On the 5th of April 2016, I presented at the Research in Progress Seminar. This seminar series involves the speaker presenting their newest ideas and findings to the staff and postgraduate students in the School of Life, Sport, and Social Sciences (SLSSS). This was my first experience of presenting to the school, and I really enjoyed the it. I was well received by my peers, which has given me confidence for future presentations. I was also asked questions that I had not really thought about before. These questions allowed me to think about my research from another angle. This will help me when formulating future experiments and when discussing the current piece of research.

On the 6th of April 2016, I also presented a poster at the SLSSS Postgraduate Research Student Conference. This was not as engaging as the seminar, however it did allow the audience more time to ask me questions. What I have learned from my presentation experiences is that if you want questions, and ideas to think about, a poster may be better suited. However, if you are more interested in getting your point across and reaching as many individuals as possible a presentation, or seminar, may be better.

Both experiences have helped me gain valuable experience, and they both allowed me the chance to have some friendly discussions about my project. The conference was amazing. It was very well run, and I look forward to next year’s event. I would say, however, that I wish I had more opportunities to present as it is such a worthwhile experience for any young academic, and I wish I had started going to more conferences in my undergraduate years.

Lee at Seminar       Lee conference