Student 1:1s

Quicklinks:

Booking a Student Appointment / 1:1

Hi,

I’m pleased that you wish to connect. Offering 1:1s to give feedback is often the best part of being an academic. We grow together – learning from each other.

I hold a weekly office hour when you can book an appointment via the booking system here. These are usually on a Tuesday afternoon between 2PM – 4PM.  As a consequence of the global pandemic, all meetings will continue to take place in my virtual room. If you want to raise something quick with me then I suggest you drop-in to my virtual room on a Friday between 10AM – 11AM. No appointment is necessary on Fridays.

Please note that you may be placed in the lobby. This means another student is in the virtual room, so please be patient and I shall get round to you.

Five minutes prior to your 1:1, follow the link to the ‘webex’ browser here. You can opt to use the browser (works fine and quick) or download the Webex app. Don’t forget to have your headset / audio set up, to not waste time during your allocated time. Mobile phones work well with Webex.

Microsoft Teams for Dissertation Students

I have set up a ‘Microsoft Team’ for dissertation students. You can join this here. This will provide you with an opportunity to chat amongst peers and gain regular feedback from myself. I have also set up some channels, so that you can chat more specifically about a stage of your research. Take a look and get engaged – research is fun and exciting!

Writalongs

I host a weekly ‘writalong’ sessions for students that I supervise.  Each Wednesday 1100 – 1300 (UK Time).

We start the session off by sharing an objective for our writing session. We then enter a 90 minute uninterrupted writing block. Then we come back after 90 minutes and share our progress/experience and set a goal for the following week.

These are not supervisory sessions. We support each other.

Only real rule is to switch off any distractions and get writing! Oh and be open to learn and support each other. This includes me – part of my job is to research, it’s tough to get writing!

See the ‘writalong’ channel in teams for further details.

Some guidance to students

Dissertation/research supervision meeting: It is best to meet for short meetings yet often. It’s not great for either of us, if the 1:1 is longer than 15 minutes. May I suggest that you plan five 1:1 supervisory meetings over the course of your studies.  Real dialogue leads to better results and is stimulating. So more talking and less transactional email, hey? Even in Microsoft Teams, we have a better tool for real-time interaction, debate and peer discussion.  The general rule of thumb for supervision is three meetings (prior to proposal, post-proposal and in preparation for the dissertation) plus comment on two chapters. We can do this, but I feel you are better served by MORE 1:1’s (15 mins) and debate over a plan, argument outline or discussion slides. I would rather engage with you in a dialogue than transactional text (here is my draft chapter and I send you back some comments). I can do this, but I think you have got the point now?

You must incorporate into your timeline these 3 – 5 appointments. May I recommend all supervised students to keep detailed records, please use this proforma. I find it immensely helpful when students prepare an agenda prior to these meetings. Unprepared meetings lead to poor dialogue and action.

Personal Development Meetings: Personal Development (PDT) meetings require longer and are confidential. Please email me for an appointment slot. The above office hours are for short meetings.

Online/Distance students:   Note: Online taught students have a dedicated virtual learning hour each week not noted above.

Using Webex for 1:1 meetings

Join my personal room here on Webex.

Here are some alternative ways you join the meeting:

Meeting Number: 169 142 217
Join by video system
Dial MEETS_AUTOGEN_4E7@edinburghnapier.webex.com
You can also dial 62.109.219.4 and enter your meeting number.
Join by phone
Call-in toll number (UK)
169 142 217