Erin Brisco

”…what I love about tech is the breadth of topics it covers and especially how it interacts with and drives our day-to-day lives”

photo of Erin BriscoHow did you find your way into tech?

Career-wise, I was always in retail and admin jobs. I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do, and I never saw myself as career-oriented. I had studied a degree in Biology straight out of high school, but I wasn’t thinking about long term goals or feeling very driven.

When I was made redundant in 2019, I came across a vacancy for an entry-level database assistant role. The job description piqued my interested and I realised that I had a lot of relevant experience. I’ve always been drawn to natural sciences and quick to pick up new systems, but I had never taken any computing classes and knew nothing about coding.

Getting into any kind of tech role or retraining hadn’t occurred to me as an option. I was lucky enough to get the job and it really sparked something in me!

Tell us a little about your course

I’m in the second year of my Graduate Apprenticeship in Data Science. It’s been quite a whirlwind so far, learning so much while juggling work, study, and home life.

The idea of studying a degree was daunting at first as I was unsure whether it was the right direction for me. I was worried I would struggle with the topics and would make a terrible student! I knew it would be hard work, but it’s been incredibly rewarding so far. Being able to see the real-life applications of what I’m learning keeps me engaged and gives me direction.

The course has helped me gain confidence in my own abilities and my newfound career path, and I recently took on a promoted role at work. I’m looking forward to learning as much as possible in the next two years, and I’m already excited to graduate and explore the world of opportunities out there.

What advice would you offer?

Just go for it! There are so many options out there for getting started, and many different courses to take. It’s a great time to get involved in the sector as things are constantly changing. There are professions now that didn’t even exist five years ago! I’d also say online resources like short courses are especially valuable for building on learning, no matter your confidence and skill level.

What interests you about tech?

Part of what I love about tech is the breadth of topics it covers and especially how it interacts with and drives our day-to-day lives. An area that I’ve enjoyed learning about through my classes is the intersection of technology and society. I’m interested in the growth of AI voice assistants in homes, the use of facial recognition tech, and similar developments. It’s interesting to see the influence technology has on individuals and society as a whole, and the implicit biases and unintended uses (both positive and negative!) that come about. I think it’s really important to be aware of the ethical responsibilities programmers have.