A magical trip to St Giles

Posted on

Pankhuri from India walks down memory lane, as she narrates her magical musical experience of attending a Christmas concert at St Giles' Cathedral.

St Giles' Cathedral

St Giles' Cathedral, also known as the High Kirk of Edinburgh, is a prominent feature of the classic Edinburgh skyline, with its famed crown spire, and stands on the Royal Mile between Edinburgh Castle and the Palace of Holyrood house.

An opportunity I'd been waiting for

Having lived in Edinburgh for a few years now, this gorgeous cathedral has been a constant background to all my touristy photographs, especially when friends and family have visited me and I have taken them on a whirlwind tour of the stunning city. It wasn’t until Christmas 2017 that I finally got to visit the cathedral when I had an opportunity to attend the Vivaldi Four Seasons by Candlelight concert performed by the London Concertante Chamber Ensemble at St Giles'.

"It was one of the finest live performances of chamber music I have ever witnessed."

A magical experience 

The cathedral as a backdrop with its stunning stained glass windows, glowing in the flickering lights of countless candles, added an element of mystical magic to that entire night. It was a surreal experience, listening to Vivaldi's Four Seasons live, on a cold, Christmas night, surrounded by music lovers and enthusiasts from all over the world, sitting in rapt silence, absolutely enamoured by the bewitching sounds.

Vivaldi's Four Seasons concert inside St Giles Cathedral.

Vivaldi's Four Seasons concert inside St Giles Cathedral

A city full of music

"I consider myself extremely lucky to live in a city which has such amazing venues to see live music throughout the year"

St. Giles has always been a lively venue for music events and concerts. They also have regular concerts over lunch featuring choirs and instrumental groups from around the world, which are thoroughly enjoyed by many visitors. The organ at St. Giles, has been recognised as one of the finest in Europe and has also attracted world-renowned recitalists. I consider myself extremely lucky to live in a city which has such amazing venues to see live music throughout the year; which is why post the Vivaldi concert, I am always on the lookout for new recitals and concerts taking place at St. Giles, which I would love to attend in the future.

Classical music continues

Apart from St Giles', other popular and often student-budget friendly classical music concerts take place at venues like the Usher Hall, and even at Edinburgh Napier University’s very own Merchiston campus, which often showcase lunchtime concerts organised by upcoming music students at ENU’s music school.