A sunrise to soothe a stressed student

Posted on

Norwegian student Kris discovers one of Edinburgh's hidden gems to relax and unwind between his studies.

"One of Edinburgh’s most beautiful views"

There are many sights to see in Edinburgh. So many in fact that you probably won’t see them all in the four years as a student here. Some sites many people will not have the time to explore, while others you may not even know existed. What I am about to share with you today is one of Edinburgh’s most beautiful views, hidden in plain sight.

"When the sun breaks over the horizon one can see the true beauty of the city."

I am an avid morning hiker. Getting up early for a hike in Edinburgh has one great advantage. When the sun breaks over the horizon one can see the true beauty of the city. Last Thursday morning I decided to go to Portobello Beach which is located about 10 minutes north of Edinburgh.

Image result for portobello beach

"It was clear that I had uncovered one of Edinburgh’s hidden gems."

I arrived at the beach at 7am with half an hour to spare before the sun was supposed to rise. As the sun broke clear of the horizon and set fire to the sky it was clear that I had uncovered one of Edinburgh’s hidden gems. There were no others at the beach and it remained so until eight in the morning when the dog owners and joggers started to emerge. Listening to the waves hit the beach and watching dogs chase their owners can calm even the most stressed soul.