Institute for Sustainable Construction
ISC is focussed on working with industry and government to promote research and innovation of relevance to the wider community. Five research centres are housed in the Institute for Sustainable Construction led by Prof Smith, providing a multi-disciplinary platform of support to research and innovation as follows:
- Building Performance Centre: building and environmental acoustics, noise and vibration.
- Scottish Energy Centre: energy performance of buildings and building services, micro-renewables and occupant behaviour.
- Centre for Offsite Construction & Innovative Structures: construction systems, modern methods of construction, with specific expertise on timber systems, panelised and volumetric, offsite skills and structural design.
- Centre for Wood Science and Timber Technologies: innovative use of timber and reconstituted materials in architecture and construction.
- The Centre for Smart Cities covers restructuring of the telecommunications, energy, food, water and waste management sectors.