I have funds to pay an APC, how do I publish my work open access?

Funders may include an allocation to cover APCs. However, for your work to be eligible for REF2021 it must also be deposited in an open access repository and any embargoes or closed access periods must meet the requirements of  HEFCE’s policy on open access.

Here are some handy tools to help you find the information you need:

  • Check your research funder’s open access policy using SHERPA/Juliet.
  • Check if the journal you want to publish in complies with your funder’s open access requirements using SHERPA/Fact.
  • Use SHERPA/RoMEO to find out your publisher’s policy on self-archiving articles in open access repositories and the web.
  • Check SHERPA REF to see if the journal you would like to publish in allows you to comply with open access requirements for REF.