Looking for a quick challenge of your game design skills? Let’s build snake! Snake is a simple game where you play as a snake who needs to hunt down and eat dots to get bigger, but if the snake runs into a wall its game over
Creating a sprite
- Go to the draw sprite menu and create a square
- You can create any design you like for your snake, the pattern will repeat so think about how it will look as it gets longer
Setting up the snake
- When the game starts lets centre our snake
- We’ll also add keys to control the 4 directions of our snake
- Lastly add a rule that If the snake touches the edge the game stops
Let’s get the snake some food
- Create a sprite you think your snake would like to eat
- Let’s make use of the go to random position block to get the food to spawn at random
- If the food spawns on the edge it isn’t fair since the snake can’t touch the edge so we’ll find a new position for it
- We can also find a fun sound to play when the snake eats the food
Creating a score
- If you’ve worked through some other tutorials you might be a pro at scores but heres a quick reminder
- We’ll create a variable called “Score”
- Under the snake sprite when the game starts, score is set to 0
- Going back to the food sprite, if it is touching the snake it will increase the score by 1
Lets test the game
- Can you move the snake correctly?
- Can you eat the food?
- Does hitting a wall stop gameplay?
Let’s make the snake grow
- Create a variable called clone length
- Set it equal to 0.3
- In the forever loop, create a clone of self
- Add a condition “When I start as clone”
- we’ll wait “Clone Length” seconds before deleting the clone
- Jump back over to the food sprite
- in the touching snake condition, we’ll want to change the clone length by 0.2
- These variable numbers can be changed, but it seems really small numbers make the movement look the best
Give the snake a head
- If you want the snake to look more like a snake, lets give it a head
- Go to draw sprite and create a matching head for your body design
- Copy the code from the body sprite and remove the parts about clones, we don’t want a hydra on our hands
- Add in a Go To Front Layer block from the looks panel to ensure the snake head is above the body
Test the game
- Does everything move as it should?
- Are you happy with your design?
- Any changes you’d like to make to make it even better?
- Once you’re happy with your game have a friend try it. Use two stars and a wish to see what works well and what could be even better
- Make sure to add instructions and publish your game to share your creativity with the world!