Classroom voting is available via the TurningPoint system which works in with MS PowerPoint for presenting questions to which students respond using electronic handsets or web-enabled devices such as laptops, phones & tablets. The aggregated responses are then available instantly on screen providing a stimulus for further discussion and explanation. Use the system to:
- increase participation in lectures and to promote small group discussion and peer support
- gain an immediate insight into student understanding and respond to difficulties and misconceptions on the spot
- provide students with instant feedback on their progress.
This quick guide to classroom voting by Derek Bruff (Vanderbilt University) provides strategies for peer instruction, leading class wide discussion, and responding to student learning needs in the classroom.
The TurningPoint software is available on all staff computers and teaching rooms from the networked applications menu. To install TurningPoint on your laptop then download the application from the TurningPoint website.
Staff need to create a TurningPoint Instructor account to use handsets or web-polling. The Campus Helpdesks can then allocate ‘seats’ to your account according to the number of students in your polling session.
- Create an account using your staff email address at https://account.turningtechnologies.eu/account/
- Choose a different password from your University one as the TurningPoint account is not connected to your University ID.
- Students do not need a TurningPoint account and are not prompted to sign-in.
TurningPoint handset kits can be collected from the Library Helpdesks at each campus:
- Craiglockhart: 160 handsets (4 bags)
- Merchiston: 120 handsets (3 bags)
- Sighthill: 320 handsets (8 bags)
Web-polling (called ResponseWare) does not require handsets or RF receivers, but you do need to have seats allocated to your Turning Point account. View this quick guide to web-polling.
How to book TurningPoint
You can book TurningPoint via Unidesk Self Service. Click the Forms icon and the TurningPoint booking form is near the bottom of the list.
Alternatively email IS Service Desk with a minimum of three days’ notice. Please make the subject line of your email ‘TurningPoint request’ and include the following information in your message:
- Handset or web polling (or a combination of both)
- Number of students in the polling session
- Campus and room/location
- Date and time of collection
- Date and time of return
- Dates of any repeated sessions
Please note that handsets is a ‘collect and return’ sign out/sign in service only and it is very important the units are returned when agreed as there may be an immediate booking to follow. Safe keeping and return of the units are the sole responsibility of the individual signing them out.