RSS

Why Edinburgh?

28 Nov

My shot of Edinburgh, Fall 2012. Copyright carlottazorzi®

Hi there folks!

This week I decided to tell you a little more about why I chose to study specifically in Edinburgh, as I believe there are many of you out there wondering “Why Edinburgh” 🙂

When I started looking into higher education I had 2 criteria to satisfy: degrees offered and city to live in. I looked up at universities in Germany, Ireland, England, Wales, France..and Scotland, obviously. After a long research I came to the conclusion that Edinburgh was what I was looking for. As mentioned in my previous blog post, I found a degree that I simply loved and, particularly, I fell in love with what the city had to offer.

First of all, Edinburgh has something for everyone: from festivals to restaurants, from theatre to music, from cinema to nightlife, from education to sport and to shopping. I never feel like I have nothing to do here. As for parties, there is not even one night of the year without some celebrations..! Flat parties are very common, as well as theme parties in different pubs and clubs.

One of my favourite things to do is actually to go hike Arthur’s Seat, you get a great view from up there and it’s something that you definitely need to do if you decide to move to Edinburgh 🙂

My friends Ka Wing & Anais & I on Arthur’s Seat!

Secondly, the fact that Edinburgh hosts four universities is sign of a particular attitude and tradition: you can breathe education and culture as soon as you get to downtown, and every corner or the city has something interesting to discover.

Another factor that helped me decide to move to Edinburgh was the fact that it’s really close by other great cities like Glasgow (about one hour by bus) and London (about one hour flight). Connections are really good also for other destinations, and that’s why I always try to save my weekend for trips around Scotland! One of my favourite destinations is St. Andrews, but I really like Stirling too.

Myself at Loch Lomond!

Finally, no matter where you live in Edinburgh – you are well connected to anywhere you’d like to go. Buses are really efficient – much better than other places I lived in!. During the day you can catch a bus pretty much every five minutes, then during the night there are fewer services but still very efficient. I’ve been using my bus card since first year and I’m really happy with it. I spend £40 per month and I have unlimited rides with Lothian buses (the main buses you’ll use to get around the city).

All things considered, I’m highly satisfied of what I found here – Everything works well and I feel really safe all the time.

Now tell me, is there anything in particular you’d like me to blog about? I’ve got so many things to say about Edinburgh and living/studying here, but please do let me know if there’s something specific you’d like to know 🙂

See you next week!

Carlotta

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,